The Wardley Wellbeing Hub is the central area for the ACTNow campaign.
What is stress?
• Be open and honest with yourself
• Treat yourself with kindness and respect
• Be present
• Enjoy it!
Stress is the feeling of being under too much mental or emotional pressure. We all need pressure to function well and it helps us to reach our peak efficiency but when it becomes too intense and prolonged, it can lead to more serious symptoms such as stress. Watch our video about the pressure curve.
Common causes of stress are bereavement, getting married, divorce, debt, ill-health, moving house, preparing for and sitting exams, changing jobs and problems at work. We also have a factsheet about the causes of stress.
• Risking your life
• Being responsible for the lives of others
• Facing death
• Losing colleagues through death and injury
• Facing the unknown
• Dealing with people in shock and crisis
• Working long hours
• Spending significant time away from home and family
• Being or feeling misunderstood.
• Excess sweating
• Sleep disturbance
• Overwhelmed or hopelessness
• Tense Muscles
• Drinking or smoking often.
A stress diary can help you become more aware of what is causing your stress and help you to develop coping mechanisms when under pressure. For the next few weeks, make note of the date, time and place of stressful episodes. Give the stress a rating between 0 and 10 (where 10 is the highest level of stress):
• What you were doing?
• Who you were with?
• How did you feel?
• What were your thoughts?
If you found this module useful for your wellbeing journey, sign up to the ACTNow campaign. You'll get sessions like this straight to your inbox to give you reminders to prioritise your wellbeing.